The deep feelings of the heart are often difficult to wrap with words or tap out with keys. I have been mentally attempting to do that for days now. I keep coming up with images rather than words, memories I cannot make visible.
On Sunday evenings we sit and watch the PBS series "Call the Midwife." I am captivated. The beautifully crafted stories, the very real characters, and the time and place. Mostly, I think, it is the time and place. When the credits roll, I sit wrapped in a fog of emotion not wanting to break the spell.
The 1950's was the decade of my childhood. I grew up surrounded by a large extended family. Life was simple.
I watch the nurses and nuns on the television program, sitting on the tattered old sofas in the living room - the ones with the crocheted pillows tossed in the corners, just like the ones my Mom made. Sometimes there is conversation. Often they sit quietly, each absorbed in her task - knitting, writing, reading. There is such a sense of peace.
I think of my days, filled to the brim with "busy." I add up the hours spent in front of a screen of one sort or another. I long for those quiet times of simply being.
It is impossible to wrap a memory in words, but I feel it. I feel the the" Holy Silence," the gentle flow of conversation, the laughter around the kitchen table, the shared times of creating something beautiful. I remember, too, the sorrows, the times of drawing close together, of sitting silently to mourn with another.
They weren't perfect times - of course they weren't. But there was a "something," and I am on the hunt for it.
Blessings,
Linda
I was just thinking, Linda - knit and natter groups are springing up all around here. In libraries. In coffee shops. Multi-generational. Are there any near you? It could be a start, you know, of rediscovering some of that simplicity and slowing down we all search for. And I LOVE Call the Midwife!
ReplyDeleteI was caught up with their stories too. Your words and photos convey it well.
ReplyDeleteYou, and me, both...
ReplyDeleteI reckon since God made us for His neighborhood, we'll always have that sense of longing and searching.
(I've heard of the show you mentioned, but not owning a television, I've not yet seen it. Maybe I can find it at the library. If both you and miss Susie watch it, it must be good.)
BLessings.
Linda, I think I must be on the same hunt, longing for something; those innocent days of childhood, perhaps. Life is in a rush it seems, and I'm having trouble keeping up :)
ReplyDeleteThese pictures are precious possessions for you. There are very few pictures of my childhood because we didn't have a camera.
there is that something...and i think it truly is hard to put into words.
ReplyDelete