Friday, January 20, 2012

Vivid Memories



The days seem to be slipping through my fingers like running water. My mind can't seem to catch up to the numbers on the calendar. It is Friday already and time for another writing prompt from Lisa-Jo - just five minutes to write about

Vivid

start:

Often it is the memories that are most hurtful or filled with regret that are the most vivid. But if I allow myself a moment to look back past all the painful moments I find the ones that are filled with joy - the ones I want to hold close.

I remember a little boy who rode his first little tyke bike at lightning speed and the way he loved to march around the house making a circle from the kitchen through the living room on to the dining room and high stepping back into the kitchen.

I remember the blond curls of the second one and the way he followed big brother wherever he led. And the day he lost his footing on a slippery little hill and turned to us and said, "My shoes have no gription!"

My mind is filled with the image of a little girl dressed in her pink ruffly nightgown and matching robe walking around on tip-toe. I used to wonder how her poor little toes could stand it.

I have a vivid picture of myself riding in the backseat behind my Daddy belting out hymns in a wonderful duet.

stop

Please join us in this Five-Minute Friday get-together. It's such a delight.

Blessings,
Linda

12 comments:

  1. Those are certainly sweet memories, Linda. I particularly like the "no gription!" part. That's too cute. My Seth used to say that when he ate ice cream his teeth got excited. My kids bring the sweetest memories to my mind, too.
    Love,
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great memories. And as tired as I get, the second generation of wonderful memories are being made every day - I just wish I had sense enough to stop and write everything down as it happens - except I would be writing constantly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. great post! http://ordinaryinspirations.blogspot.com/2012/01/vivid.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. vivid and colourful memories...just like a quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful memories! I agree that it's the most hurtful memories that can be the most vivid - it's wonderful that you use those to get to the good ones!

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Precious memories how they linger..." :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing these special memories. They paint a delightful picture.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very enjoyable post, Linda. I had a time with memories just today; I opened the cedar chest. I took out skirts I had worn as a new bride, and the belt for my wedding dress only went about half way around my waist. Also there were dolls with frizzy hair; little girls'hands having played with them a long time ago.

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful, joy filled moments Linda! Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the detail of the little girl in her ruffly nightgown and matching robe - so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved this, Linda--you have me smiling as I think back on my own children's antics. Sara was like your daughter on tip toes. She eventually took ballet and took a dare from two high school friends (boys) that she really couldn't balance on her big toes for even a partial second. She took off her shoes and proved them wrong (and it was for more than just a few seconds)! Her eyes lit up with pride and glee when she later told the story at the supper table.

    I try to remember the vivid good stuff--much healthier for us. :>)

    ReplyDelete