Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Remember to Smile



It has been nearly two years since I wrote these words. How is it that I can so easily forget the words gently spoken into my spirit? How is it that the daily living of life, with its joys and sorrows, can rub the sheen off a shining gift? The something I thought I would never forget had somehow slipped away.

I walk with head down along the unfamiliar walk to the mailbox. Everything is new, the familiar left behind to become someone else's every day. I feel that old shyness dogging my steps as I pass faces unknown to me. Then it comes - a gentle reminder of a long ago spoken word: "Smile."

Smile. I had forgotten. Forgotten the seemingly small ministry with the huge potential He had given to a heart longing to do something BIG. My head tilted up just a bit - eyes looking for the eyes of stranger.

Sometimes I cannot will the eyes of another to look into mine, but there are moments of connection. That is when the smile does its work.

If I had any doubts (and oh how prone I am to such things), that very evening as we descended the stairs from the choir loft a friend grabbed me in a hug. "You are such a blessing, she said. You have a beautiful smile."

I'm not so sure about the beautiful part, but the smile - oh yes. The Father gave me that smile, and He has asked me to use it for Him.

Have you discovered the ministry of a small thing? If you have, how does the Father turn your little into something BIG?

Blessings,
Linda

9 comments:

  1. This is so good, Linda!
    A much needed reminder.
    How true that it is often the little things.
    A smile,
    A hello,
    A hug,
    A goodbye,
    A letter of encouragement slipped into the hands of another,
    A small text or email of love.
    Little things that can be used by Him in ways we may never even know about.

    Thank you for this splendid reminder. I'm smiling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder how you "happened" to go back and read that post - what a blessing. And I know you will be a blessing to those in your new place. I can't think of anything special that I do, but I do like to smile at people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful smile indeed. Looking forward to seeing it glow up a whole room.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Linda, I'm a very shy person, but a smile is just part of me. A few weeks ago a woman told me after church, "You have such a sweet smile; you look like you're always up to something." I took it as a compliment. I'm beginning to think you and I are very much alike. :) I loved this post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a sweet post. I loved
    it and thank you for this wonderful
    reminder. The girls are darling.
    There's nothing quite like the
    smile of a child.
    Hugs~

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like that you worked your way to knowing this,
    to believing it.
    I always smile when I "read" you , so have no doubt that your face must carry radiance that makes people feel better.

    This is as important a ministry as any. Absolutely.
    There are no rules about how we serve are there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yes, Linda... The small ministry of a smile can bear much fruit. You are a perfect example. And you always, always make me smile.

    I can't wait to see that smile of yours in person, very soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sharing a cyber smile with you in this reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I read the post you referred to and it took me back to the days when my dad was recovering in a rest home. I saw how much good a smile did in those halls.

    I have been purposely smiling in the halls at school. It does help.

    ReplyDelete